[LLVMdev] Is there pass to break down <4 x float> to scalars

Liu Xin navy.xliu at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 20:02:52 PDT 2013

Hi, LLVM community,

I write some code in hand using LLVM IR. for simplicity, I write them in <4
x float>. now I found some stores for elements are useless.

for example, If I store {0.0, 1.0, 2.0, 3.0} to a <4 x float> %a. maybe
only %a.xy is alive in my program.  our target doesn't feature SIMD
instruction, which means we have to lower vector to many  scalar
instructions. I found llvm doesn't have DSE in codegen , right?

Is there a pass which can break down vector operation to scalars?

thanks,
--lx