[LLVMdev] [RFC] Stackmap and Patchpoint Intrinsic Proposal

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Tue Oct 22 16:18:19 PDT 2013

On Oct 22, 2013, at 3:08 PM, Filip Pizlo <fpizlo at apple.com> wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2013, at 1:48 PM, Philip R <listmail at philipreames.com> wrote:

>>> These stackmaps have nothing to do with GC.  Interior pointers are a problem unique to precise copying collectors.
>> I would argue that while the use of the stack maps might be different, the mechanism is fairly similar.
>
> It's not at all similar.  These stackmaps are only useful for deoptimization, since the only way to make use of the live state information is to patch the stackmap with a jump to a deoptimization off-ramp.  You won't use these for a GC.
>
>> In general, if the expected semantics are the same, a shared implementation would be desirable.  This is more a suggestion for future refactoring than anything else.
>
> I think that these stackmaps and GC stackmaps are fairly different beasts.  While it's possible to unify the two, this isn't the intent here.  In particular, you can use these stackmaps for deoptimization without having to unwind the stack.

I think Philip R is asking a good question. To paraphrase: If we introduce a generically named feature, shouldn’t it be generically useful? Stack maps are used in other ways, and there are other kinds of patching. I agree and I think these are intended to be generically useful features, but not necessarily sufficient for every use.

The proposed stack maps are very different from LLVM’s gcroot because gcroot does not provide stack maps! llvm.gcroot effectively designates a stack location for each root for the duration of the current function, and forces the root to be spilled to the stack at all call sites (the client needs to disable StackColoring). This is really the opposite of a stack map and I’m not aware of any functionality that can be shared. It also requires a C++ plugin to process the roots. llvm.stackmap generates data in a section that MCJIT clients can parse.

If someone wanted to use stack maps for GC, I don’t know why they wouldn’t leverage llvm.stackmap. Maybe Filip can see a problem with this that I can't. The runtime can add GC roots to the stack map just like other live value, and it should know how to interpret the records. The intrinsic doesn’t bake in any particular interpretation of the mapped values. That said, my proposal deliberately does not cover GC. I think that stack maps are the easy part of the problem. The hard problem is tracking interior pointers, or for that matter exterior/out-of-bounds or swizzled pointers. LLVM’s machine IR simply doesn’t have the necessary facilities for doing this. But if you don’t need a moving collector, then you don’t need to track derived pointers as long as the roots are kept live. In that case, llvm.stackmap might be a nice optimization over llvm.gcroot.

Now with regard to patching. I think llvm.patchpoint is generally useful for any type of patching I can imagine. It does look like a call site in IR, and it’s nice to be able to leverage calling conventions to inform the location of arguments. But the patchpoint does not have to be a call after patching, and you can specify zero arguments to avoid using a calling convention. In fact, we only currently emit a call out of convenience. We could splat nops in place and assume the runtime will immediately find and patch all occurrences before the code executes. In the future we may want to handle NULL call target, bypass call emission, and allow the reserved bytes to be less than that required to emit a call.

-Andy