[LLVMdev] First attempt at recognizing pointer reduction

Arnold Schwaighofer aschwaighofer at apple.com
Mon Oct 21 09:29:11 PDT 2013

Renato,

can you post a hand-created vectorized IR of how a reduction would work on your example?

I don’t think that recognizing this as a reduction is going to get you far. A reduction is beneficial if the value reduced is only truly needed outside of a loop.
This is not the case here (we are storing/loading from the pointer).

Your example is something like

WRITEPTR = phi i8* [ outsideval, preheader] [WPTR, loop]
store WRITEPTR
WPTR = getelementptr WRIPTR, 3

If you treat this as a reduction, you will end up with code like (say we used a VF=2):

WRITEPTR = phi <2 x i8*> [ <outsideval, 0>, preheader] [WPTR, loop]
ptr = WRITEPTR<0> + WRITEPTR<1>
store ptr
WPTR = getelementptr WRIPTR, <3,3>

I think the right approach to get examples like this is that we need to recognize strided pointer inductions (we only support strides by one currently).

Basically we need to be able to see

phi_ptr = phi double*

phi_ptr = gep phi_ptr, 2

and make a canonical induction variable out of this

phi_ind = phi 0, phi_ind
ptr = gep ptr_val_from_outside_loop, 2*phi_ind

phi_ind = add, phi_ind, 1

(of course virtually).

Or in other words:

for (i++)