[LLVMdev] [lld] Diagnostics

Nick Kledzik kledzik at apple.com
Mon Oct 7 16:02:15 PDT 2013

I think we need a straw man proposal to start iterating on.  Clang’s diagnostics has lots of good features.  But is has lots that a linker does not need.  For instance, the line/column number does not make sense for a linker.  Clang errors/warnings are mostly about the source language which is pretty standard across different platforms.  Other than multiple-defined and undefined errors, most of the linker errors and warnings will be platform specific.

Linker warnings and errors are also historically very cryptic.  Linker errors usually have a low level cause, and a high level action for the developer to take to resolve the issue.  For instance, the low level trigger would be a particular relocation kind is not expected.  The high level fix is to change the compiler options (e.g. -fno-pic) for a particular file.  It would be nice to capture the low and high level in lld’s diagnostics.

-Nick