[LLVMdev] Request for comments: TBAA on call

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Mon Oct 7 15:01:00 PDT 2013

On Sep 25, 2013, at 5:50 PM, Filip Pizlo <fpizlo at apple.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> TBAA on loads and stores is super useful for conveying high-level type knowledge to LLVM transformations.  But often translating a high-level language into LLVM IR will result in runtime calls that are known at the high level to only affect (either by reading or by writing) some restricted subset of the heap.  These aren't read-only calls; that is often too strong of a guarantee.  A great example would be a GC barrier or GC allocation that may arise if LLVM is used as a backend for a compiler for a higher-level language.  There are probably other examples that arise in high-level languages, but let's use allocation as an example for now.  I can envision two ways of representing allocation in LLVM IR:
>
> Method #1:
>
> 	    %object = call @runtime_allocate(... /* pass size and/or other data */)
>
> Method #2:
>
> 	SomeBlock:
> 	    ... ; code preceding the allocation
> 	    %objectFast = ... ; IR for the inlined allocation fast path, which produces %objectFast but may yield null if the fast path fails and we need to take slow path
> 	    %didFail = icmp eq %objectFast, null
> 	    br %didFail, label %AllocationSlowPath, label &Continue
> 	AllocationSlowPath:
> 	    %objectSlow = call @runtime_allocate_slow_path(... /* pass size and/or other data */)
> 	    br label %Continue
> 	Continue:
> 	    %object = phi [%objectFast, SomeBlock], [%objectSlow, AllocationSlowPath]
>
> In both of these cases, the call instruction will appear to clobber the world leading to more pessimistic optimization.  Moreover, it's not always correct to mark the allocation as being readonly; it may read or write observable state.  But if you don't like the allocation example then you can imagine that a GC store barrier would have an almost identical pattern to #2 and it would definitely not be readonly.  Anyway, such a pattern would lead to fewer loads being eliminated or hoisted, fewer stores being eliminated or sunk, etc - all due to those pesky calls.  But the high-level code generator that produces this IR will know for sure that @runtime_allocate or @runtime_allocate_slow_path can only affect a very narrow subset of the heap: namely, it will only read and write the GC's data structures.  So most of the loads and stores surrounding the allocation, that arose from source-level loads and stores, would definitely not have any interference with the call and this would !
> be easy to convey using TBAA.
>
> Hence if we could decorate the calls to these runtime functions as only reading or writing certain TBAA types, then LLVM would be able to perform more CSE/GVN/LICM and probably other goodness as well.

> [...]

The general idea seems right to me. I can’t think of a better way to express the side effect of type-checks and special helpers provided by the runtime. I don’t have much opinion on the meta-data syntax other than that it should have room for extensions.

I was expecting a little more discussion on this one. But FWIW I think it’s a good idea.

-Andy