[LLVMdev] RFH: passing options from clang down to opt

Diego Novillo dnovillo at google.com
Tue Oct 1 16:51:19 PDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Rafael EspĂ­ndola
<rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:
> The option handling in clang in fairly different from opt. The comment
> about the mixed name was just a guess as to why you don't see the
> driver passing it down to -cc1.

Clang::ConstructJob is ~2k lines long.  I was putting the handling of
this option too far down.  I moved it up and it's now being passed.
Not sure what order needs to be kept in this function, however.

> Once that is working, you will probably need to:
>
> * Patch ParseCodeGenArgs to record the option
> * Patch EmitAssemblyHelper::CreatePasses to set the option to enable
> the  pass in the pass manager (assuming that is the effect you want).

Thanks.  That was my disconnect.  I was confusing 'opt' with clang's backend.

The attached patch does what I want.  Does it look like it's in the
right direction?

Thanks.  Diego.