[LLVMdev] "Mapping High-Level Constructs to LLVM IR" Github URL

Sean Silva chisophugis at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 19:32:28 PST 2013

Just briefly looking over the document, I really like the content.

I'm now starting to see a really good "fit" for this document: a "guide for
language frontend implementers" illustrating basic techniques along with a
discussion of implementation decisions regarding the lowering of certain
constructs. I don't think that we currently have any documentation targeted
at language frontend writers; I would really like to see this document
evolve into that.

E.g., what are the different ways to do lambdas and what are their
tradeoffs regarding optimizability, etc.; or a discussion of the various
function attributes (e.g. noalias) which are vital for getting the best
performance out of the optimizers (many languages semantically don't have
aliasing issues (or fewer than C/C++ at least!), and this needs to be
communicated to the optimizer; currently we don't have documentation
offering guidance in this regard).

Most of the documentation about the IR is aimed at people writing
optimization passes. Catering to language frontends seems like it would be
a really good thing to do in a systematic fashion.

-- Sean Silva