[LLVMdev] MCJIT RemoteMemoryManager Failures on ARM

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Tue Nov 26 14:44:07 PST 2013

On 26 November 2013 19:05, Kaylor, Andrew <andrew.kaylor at intel.com> wrote:

>  I would also note that the failure isn’t actually in anything
> MCJIT-specific.  Aside from the fact that it seems to be clang-specific,
> the code that is failing is specific to the lli remote implementation.
> It’s not clear to me why it would fail under aggressive optimization with
> clang, but I wouldn’t characterize that code as particularly robust.

I agree. I think this is more likely a codegen fault on Clang's side that
crashes the client, not even the remote implementation, that even being
crude, has very little room for failure of that magnitude.

I just updated the bugzilla report with a few comments about the failure.
> The short of it is that there’s nothing MCJIT-specific about this failure.
> It’s most likely a pipe I/O problem.  I think it’s possible that the clang
> optimizations are just exposing a timing-related vulnerability in the pipe
> handling.

Ok, I'll disable those tests for ARM for now and will look into the bug.

I don't know much about how MCJIT works, so creating the reduced test case
will prove difficult. But I'll progress, because I do want MCJIT to work
well on ARM, and disabling tests is the wrong way to head. ;)

cheers,
--renato