[LLVMdev] Android, llvm-ar and setLastModificationAndAccessTime

Alp Toker alp at nuanti.com
Mon Nov 25 12:36:53 PST 2013

On 25/11/2013 18:27, Stephen Hines wrote:
> futimens() is available in Android KitKat. We work extensively with
> LLVM and this allowed us to remove our ugly workaround for not having
> this functionality.

Hi Steve,

Is your work on a branch somewhere?

James is putting a lot of time into this, and the LLVM community has
been making best efforts to help review his patches which can be
difficult for those who don't normally work with the Android platform.

So if the work is already out there, that'd be useful to know in order
to avoid duplication of effort. There are lots of other useful things we
could be doing if support for that platform is already complete
somewhere on Github :-)

Cheers,
Alp.

> Steve
>

> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 8:30 AM, James Lyon <jameslyon0 at gmail.com
> <mailto:jameslyon0 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I've been trying to get LLVM working as a JIT compiler on Android
>     for a while. It works now, except that the
>     setLastModificationAndAccessTime function won't build because the
>     Bionic C library lacks both futimes and futimens. There doesn't
>     appear to be any "nice" workaround for this problem: the only ways
>     I can think of to make setLastModificationAndAccessTime work are
>     either to go by /proc/self/fd or invoke the system call directly
>     (the second option isn't helped by the fact that the Android
>     headers don't define the relevant system call number and it varies
>     between platforms).
>
>     Right now the only part of LLVM that uses this function is
>     llvm-ar, so it's not as if lack of support for this function is a
>     serious shortcoming. I don't really know the history of
>     PathV1/PathV2 but I think the simplest solutions are:
>
>      1. Have setLastModificationAndAccessTime fail on platforms
>         without futimes/futimens (by ENOSYS). This is pretty ugly
>         because having a function which can never succeed seems likely
>         to confuse users.
>      2. Only declare setLastModificationAndAccessTime if it is
>         actually available (add something to llvm-config.h to indicate
>         this). The downside here is that (in theory at least) users
>         need to know that setLastModificationAndAccessTime might be
>         missing, although in practise they can probably ignore the issue.
>
>     (1) is trivial to implement and is what I'm doing now; I can also
>     create a patch to do (2), I just thought I'd ask for opinions first.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     James

http://www.nuanti.com
the browser experts