[LLVMdev] "Mapping High-Level Constructs to LLVM IR"

Mikael Lyngvig mikael at lyngvig.org
Fri Nov 22 19:25:14 PST 2013

Hi guys,

I have begun writing on a new document, named "Mapping High-Level
Constructs to LLVM IR", in which I hope to eventually explain how to map
pretty much every contemporary high-level imperative and/or OOP language
construct to LLVM IR.

I write it for two reasons:

1. I need to know this stuff myself to be able to continue on my own
language project.
2. I feel that this needs to be documented once and for all, to save tons
of time for everybody out there, especially for the language inventors who
just want to use LLVM as a backend.

So my plan is to write this document and continue to revise and enhance it
as I understand more and helpful people on the list and elsewhere explain
to me how these things are done.

Basically, I just want to know if there is any interest in such a document
or if I should put it on my own website.  If you know of any books or
articles that already do this, then please let me know about them.

I've attached the result of 30 minutes work, just so that you can see what
I mean.  Please don't review the document as it is still in its very early
infancy.

Cheers,
Mikael