[LLVMdev] Building LLVM with asan

Keno Fischer kfischer at csail.mit.edu
Wed Nov 20 18:18:27 PST 2013

Hello everybody,

after moving from OS X to Linux build llvm with asan enabled (I also
updated to trunk, but not sure if that's related). However, it's totally
possible that I missed a step that I took back when I set this up for me,
so I might be doing something very stupid. Anyway, I'm configuring LLVM with

../configure --prefix=/home/kfischer/julia/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
FC=gfortran
CC="/home/kfischer/julia/deps/llvm-svn/build_Release+Asserts/Release+Asserts/bin/clang
-fsanitize=address"
CXX="/home/kfischer/julia/deps/llvm-svn/build_Release+Asserts/Release+Asserts/bin/clang++"
-fsanitize=address --disable-profiling --enable-shared --enable-static
--enable-targets=host --disable-bindings --disable-docs --enable-assertions
--enable-optimized --disable-threads

in a different directory (build_Release+Asserts+Sanitize). As you can see
I'm bootstrapping this through a different copy of clang I just built.
However, now I'm getting tons of
undefined reference to `__asan_report_store8'
even though the command the failing command being invoked is

/home/kfischer/julia/deps/llvm-svn/build_Release+Asserts/Release+Asserts/bin/clang++
-fsanitize=address   -O3 -Wl,-R -Wl,'$ORIGIN' -rdynamic
-L/home/kfischer/julia/deps/llvm-svn/build_Release+Asserts+Sanitize/Release+Asserts/lib
-L/home/kfischer/julia/deps/llvm-svn/build_Release+Asserts+Sanitize/Release+Asserts/lib
    -shared -o
/home/kfischer/julia/deps/llvm-svn/build_Release+Asserts+Sanitize/Release+Asserts/lib/
libLLVM-3.5svn.so -Wl,--whole-archive -lLLVMAnalysis -lLLVMAsmParser
-lLLVMAsmPrinter -lLLVMBitReader -lLLVMBitWriter -lLLVMCodeGen -lLLVMCore
-lLLVMDebugInfo -lLLVMExecutionEngine -lLLVMInstCombine
-lLLVMInstrumentation -lLLVMInterpreter -lLLVMipa -lLLVMipo -lLLVMIRReader
-lLLVMLinker -lLLVMLTO -lLLVMMC -lLLVMMCDisassembler -lLLVMMCJIT
-lLLVMMCParser -lLLVMObjCARCOpts -lLLVMObject -lLLVMOption
-lLLVMRuntimeDyld -lLLVMScalarOpts -lLLVMSelectionDAG -lLLVMSupport
-lLLVMTarget -lLLVMTransformUtils -lLLVMVectorize -lLLVMX86AsmParser
-lLLVMX86AsmPrinter -lLLVMX86CodeGen -lLLVMX86Desc -lLLVMX86Disassembler
-lLLVMX86Info -lLLVMX86Utils -Wl,--no-whole-archive -Wl,--soname,
libLLVM-3.5svn.so -Wl,--no-undefined -lz -ltinfo -lm

Am I doing something stupid?
Thanks,
Keno