[LLVMdev] bit code file incompatibility due to debug info changes

Bob Wilson bob.wilson at apple.com
Tue Nov 19 13:28:34 PST 2013

On Nov 19, 2013, at 11:01 AM, Bob Wilson <bob.wilson at apple.com> wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2013, at 10:58 AM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Bob Wilson <bob.wilson at apple.com> wrote:
>> I don't have a strong opinion on how we fix it, but I think it's really important to do something and get it done for the 3.4 release.
>>
>> I agree with everything here being a reasonable step for the 3.4 release except:
>>
>> - implement Quentin's previous proposal for back-end diagnostics (and add a diagnostic handler to Apple's linker), so that we can warn about out-of-date debug info
>>
>> I don't think this is important for the release. I don't think open source people have any expectation of stability here, and while it is a nice-to-have, it doesn't seem necessary, and seems clearly like a significant extension that shouldn't be cherry-picked late into the release.
>
> OK, that's fair.  As long as we can get it on trunk soon, we can cherry-pick it to an internal release branch.

Two questions:

1) Can we reopen the bugzilla PR that I filed and use that to cover the additional of a version number and code to ignore the debug info when the version number does not match?  Eric has already closed it twice, so I'm asking this time instead of just reopening it.

2) Who is going to do this work?