[LLVMdev] Adding line table debug information to LLVM on Windows

Timur Iskhodzhanov timurrrr at google.com
Tue Nov 19 10:42:59 PST 2013

Attached is a slightly updated patch.
(it doesn't include D2222 yet).

2013/11/19 Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com>:
> In general I do think we're going to need to abstract it out as much
> as possible. I'm not sure what the previous patch looks like, but
> abstracting the interface out would be general goodness for this. We
> can talk about designs for that as we move on.

How about http://llvm-reviews.chandlerc.com/D2222 ?
// Ha! A lucky number!

> As far as how to
> migrate the decision down we can have it both as an option to code gen
> maybe or, for now, make it dependent upon triple. The former is, I
> think, the best option there.

You mean LLVM CodeGen or Clang CodeGen?

Can you suggest a few places in the code where I can find the clues for that?
I'm not yet familiar with this part of the project...

> I'm not sure if you're going to want to support both debug info at the
> same time, but it's a readonly format at debug emission so I don't see
> it as being a problem.

Well, if two debug formats share the same section name, they might
conflict with each other.
I don't think this is the case for Dwarf&CodeView [yet?].

2013/11/19 Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com>:
> I'd just use /Z7, since that's the cl.exe flag for the compatible format.
> This will need a long-form clang -cc1 flag name, though.

Z7 implies a much more complete debug info than what we'll emit short-term.
Since Z7 is not widely used, I don't think threading Z7 is any simpler
than Zmlt.
I don't have a strong opinion though, WDYT?

> I think the best way for the tests will be to write a set of parsers,
> etc that can dump the info. I realize this is likely a very large
> undertaking as well, but it seems like the only way to ensure we're
> getting some decent testing out.

As you can see from my patch, I actually succeeded in writing *some*
tests without a dumper - just by using the MCAsmStreamer.
Do you think we should really write a dumper too?
That's kinda hard and we don't plan to fully support the CodeView format yet...

> Any other questions I missed?

Please see the TODOs in the attached patch.
You are very likely to come up with a better design/ideas given I'm
new to this part of the codebase.

One particular question I'd like to emphasize is getting a full
filepath for a given MDNode.
As far as I can tell, the metadata for scopes holds pairs of
<filename, directory>, which reflects how DWARF stores them.
However, CodeView stores full paths as entire strings (I admit that
ain't efficient).
Currently, I concat the directory and filename together, but it
a) requires some extra memory management
b) requires special tricks to handle filenames starting from "./", "../", etc.
c) the slashes in the directory name and filename are not consistent on Windows
and is ugly in general.

Do you think it's appropriate to change the scope metadata format to
store <filename, directory, fullpath> instead?
That'd require changing Clang, right?