[LLVMdev] SCEV getMulExpr() not propagating Wrap flags

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Fri Nov 15 22:56:02 PST 2013

On Nov 13, 2013, at 3:39 AM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm trying to analyse this piece of IR:
>
> for.body:                                         ; preds = %for.body, %entry
>   %indvars.iv = phi i64 [ 0, %entry ], [ %indvars.iv.next, %for.body ]
>   %0 = shl nsw i64 %indvars.iv, 1
>   %arrayidx = getelementptr inbounds i32* %b, i64 %0
>   %1 = load i32* %arrayidx, align 4, !tbaa !1
>   %add = add nsw i32 %1, %I
>   %arrayidx3 = getelementptr inbounds i32* %a, i64 %0
>   store i32 %add, i32* %arrayidx3, align 4, !tbaa !1
>   %2 = or i64 %0, 1
>   %arrayidx7 = getelementptr inbounds i32* %b, i64 %2
>   %3 = load i32* %arrayidx7, align 4, !tbaa !1
>   %add8 = add nsw i32 %3, %I
>   %arrayidx12 = getelementptr inbounds i32* %a, i64 %2
>   store i32 %add8, i32* %arrayidx12, align 4, !tbaa !1
>   %indvars.iv.next = add nuw nsw i64 %indvars.iv, 1
>   %exitcond = icmp eq i64 %indvars.iv.next, 512
>   br i1 %exitcond, label %for.end, label %for.body
>
> And, when going through the GEP:
>
>   %0 = shl nsw i64 %indvars.iv, 1
>   %arrayidx = getelementptr inbounds i32* %b, i64 %0
>
> ScalarEvolution::createNodeForGEP() is losing the SCEV::FlagNSW, and I believe it's because of this piece of code in getMulExpr():
>
>       // Build the new addrec. Propagate the NUW and NSW flags if both the
>       // outer mul and the inner addrec are guaranteed to have no overflow.
>       //
>       // No self-wrap cannot be guaranteed after changing the step size, but
>       // will be inferred if either NUW or NSW is true.
>       Flags = AddRec->getNoWrapFlags(clearFlags(Flags, SCEV::FlagNW));
>       const SCEV *NewRec = getAddRecExpr(NewOps, AddRecLoop, Flags);
>
>       // If all of the other operands were loop invariant, we are done.
>       if (Ops.size() == 1) return NewRec;
>
> I understand that you can't assume it won't wrap around with the new stride, but I couldn't find anything else later that would re-assign NSW/NUW. Maybe I need to add this code myself? Possibly in the GEP code, if I can detect the range will be safe, even for large strides?

Hi Renato,

Did you figure this out? The code you’re pointing to should preserve NSW and NUW. It is only clearing NW. Here’s what I think should happen, without actually trying it myself:

- createNodeForGEP notices that inbounds implies NSW

  SCEV::NoWrapFlags Wrap = GEP->isInBounds() ? SCEV::FlagNSW : SCEV::FlagAnyWrap

- The array index should already be an AddRecExpr with NSW

       const SCEV *IndexS = getSCEV(Index);

- createNodeForGEP attempts to scale the index using the NSW flag we picked up earlier

      const SCEV *LocalOffset = getMulExpr(IndexS, ElementSize, Wrap);

- getMulExpr constructs a new AddRec with NSW:

      Flags = AddRec->getNoWrapFlags(clearFlags(Flags, SCEV::FlagNW));
      const SCEV *NewRec = getAddRecExpr(NewOps, AddRecLoop, Flags);

The clearing of NW does not need to happen in your case (NSW/NUW should always imply NW). You could try this and see if it fixes the problem:

      Flags = AddRec->getNoWrapFlags();

If that fixes your case, then the right/safe fix will be trivial.

-Andy