[LLVMdev] (Very) small patch for the jit event listener

Kaylor, Andrew andrew.kaylor at intel.com
Fri Nov 15 15:13:14 PST 2013

Hi Yaron,

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that stubs be implemented in IR.  I'm just suggesting that clients should use a different name at the call site for functions that they want to stub out so that when MCJIT asks the memory manager for a pointer to the function the client can easily identify it as something that should be handled with a stub (and so that MCJIT won't try to link calls directly to the implementation when it becomes available).

I agree that a reference implementation of this would be useful, at least as a guide to demonstrate the way it is intended to work.  I just expect that most clients that need this sort of functionality will want to do something other than provide simple stubs for all functions.

Regarding module removal, tracking all the information necessary to make that possible is somewhat at odds with the goal of providing a small memory footprint to make MCJIT useful on memory-constrained devices.  I'm not saying that means we shouldn't do it -- just that it needs to be something that can be switched off in a way that doesn't incur the memory overhead.  I'd also like to look for a way to handle it entirely within the memory manager.

BTW, I heard from Keno Fischer that he has an experimental implementation of Julia using MCJIT working.  Obviously there are some issues to be worked through before it's something that can be rolled into the main code base, but he went from a JIT-based implementation to an MCJIT-based implementation that passes their basic test suite in about a week.  That's a pretty encouraging result, I think.

-Andy