[LLVMdev] Quad-Core ARMv7 Build Slave Seeks Noble Purpose

Nick Kledzik kledzik at apple.com
Wed Nov 13 19:31:32 PST 2013

On Nov 13, 2013, at 6:17 PM, Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> wrote:

> > What do you want me to build?  LLVM?  Clang?  Both plus test suite?
>
> Personally, I see more value in building LLVM, Clang, possibly lld,
>
> I think LLD would especially benefit from testing on other architectures, since LLD is the most prone to accidentally having something architecture-dependent (e.g. assuming pointers are 64 bits, endianness, alignment, etc) and so testing it on more architectures will turn up bugs.

Yes, lld reads binary files so gets all the potential bugs that comes with that.  Mach-O binary format is challenging because it uses bit fields structs and the compiler switches the direction of bit fields on big vs little endian archs!

That said, isn’t the ARM machine 32-bit little endian?  Other than possible alignment issues, it has the same coverage as i386.   What lld needs is big endian build machines.

-Nick