[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Fri Nov 8 10:40:50 PST 2013

On 8 November 2013 08:49, <dag at cray.com> wrote:

> This is a *serious* issue.  It doesn't seem like people really
> comprehend the challenges of upgrading toolchains in large software
> projects.  We're talking about millions and millions of lines of code
> spread out over many independent modules.  These all have to fit
> together to create a usable tool.

I think we got into two modal states where people believe one side want to
add all C++11 stuff tomorrow and the other never. This is not the case.

Chandler adding it to the release notes will say that, very likely, the
release 3.5 will have some C++11. It doesn't say that on the day after 3.4
is branched, we'll have a complete re-write of our algorithms.

If you're following trunk, you're already used to API changes. The main
difference is that the first C++11 new change will force you to change the
compiler for your project. It could not happen, if we have enough pressure
(I haven't moved my project yet!), but there will be back pressure (please
move! do you need help?!). Or it could happen quite quickly, if we all find
out that it wasn't that hard after all. I don't know.

What is so hard about waiting an extra month to give people a chance to
> test the new toolchain?

Nothing. And adding a note to the release won't make it come faster "just
because". I think it's perfectly reasonable to wait a few month in 3.5
trunk for every one to accommodate. Whenever you're ready, announce on the
list, and people can start sending patches. There will probably be corner
cases (cross-compilation of small embedded devices), and we can all help
with the migration, but chances are that Clang already supports it.

cheers,
--renato