[LLVMdev] Quick question about Unicode support

Mikael Lyngvig mikael at lyngvig.org
Fri Nov 8 04:35:47 PST 2013

Hi,

I have decided to go the path of generating LLVM IR source from my
bootstrap compiler so that I can code it in C# instead of C++ (it is going
to be thrown away anyway).  As my language is going to support Unicode, I'm
wondering about whether or not LLVM is capable of reading UTF-8 encoded
source files?  I'm not thinking about string literals - they are easy to
handle by outputing them as a raw, albeit encoded byte sequence, but rather
Unicode-enabled program identifiers.

Do I need to keep my LLVM IR source file as a strict ASCII file or can the
reader handle UTF8?

Thanks in advance,
Mikael Lyngvig
-- Frogs dug channels on Earth millions of years before Man looked to Mars.