[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

dag at cray.com dag at cray.com
Wed Nov 6 10:44:02 PST 2013

<dag at cray.com> writes:

> I'm worried about everything *else* we have integrated with LLVM that
> will also need to be built with the new toolchain.  It's all that
> other stuff that we need to be able to test before LLVM forces us to
> use a new toolchain.

To be specific, in the past upgrades to toolchains have caused
hard-to-debug incorrect code generation in our tools.  Sometimes that's
because someone wrote non-conforming code but almost as often it's
because of a bug in gcc that we then have to find a workaround for.  In
either case, we have to do a lot of debugging, analysis and come up with
a fix.  That's why we need a lot of lead time.  We can't have things
just break on developers in the middle of a development cycle.  We have
to schedule time for testing the new toolchain, debugging problems and
fixing them BEFORE we move all of our code to the new toolchain.

                         -David