[LLVMdev] DominanceFrontier/PostDominanceFrontier for PRE

Daniel Berlin dberlin at dberlin.org
Sun Nov 3 01:02:15 PDT 2013

Is there a reason this is better than the modified algorithm created
by Ferrante?
It looks like yours has as bad a worst case time bound in reality.
That is, the algorithm runs in O(sum of the size of all the dominance
frontiers).

http://www.cs.rice.edu/~keith/Embed/dom.pdf

See figure 5. It will only touch nodes actually in the dominance frontier.

This is what GCC uses.

There are actually real almost linear dominance frontier algorithms
(http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.13.202 is one
example.  Sreedhar's classic dj-graphs paper on placing phi nodes in
linear time, shows also how to compute dominance frontier in same
 time bound)

In practice, nobody implements these because the computation time of
dominance frontiers is just not that large most of the time.

In any case, to answer the original question, dominance frontiers are
not necessary to compute PRE dataflow problems.
Certain sparse formulations of PRE have papers that were written to
use dominance frontiers, but in all of those cases, they are really
using it as part of a phi-placement algorithm.
You could substitute any valid phi placement algorithm for that
portion of the algorithm (including any of the linear time phi
placements, or llvm's current phi placement).  For example, in SSAPRE,
the part called DF(phis) could be replaced with such an algorithm
(though var phis could not).

As for a "better" way to implement PRE, it depends on what algorithm
you want to use. If you just want to write a PRE pass, that's easy
enough without dominance frontiers.

If you want to implement the original SSAPRE, i suggest looking at
http://jcse.kiise.org/posting/2-3/jcse_2-3_31.pdf