[LLVMdev] Activating MIPS Code Emitter.

Jafar J pluck90 at hotmail.com
Thu May 30 11:35:26 PDT 2013

Hi Jim,

The idea of reducing the switching activity between the instructions works by reducing the hamming distance between tow consecutive binary strings across the basic block, or reducing the number of the different bits between two consecutive instructions. This is why I need the exact complete encoding in plain 0’s and 1’s, to be as precise as possible during the scheduling process. I did write a class that generates a complete binary encoding from a MachineInstruction, which took a while to do, but then I thought what if I needed to target other processors such as ARM, then I’ll have to do the same thing all over again knowing that the code emitter could get the job done. Isn’t that the job of the code emitter converting the MachineInstruction to machine code through the tableGen which has the definition of each instruction. Isn’t it possible to just activate the code emitter during Post-RA scheduler.

Sorry for the trouble!

Thanks,
    Jafar J.