[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] [PROPOSAL] per-function optimization level control

Andrea_DiBiagio at sn.scee.net Andrea_DiBiagio at sn.scee.net
Wed May 29 08:24:41 PDT 2013

> What is the common use case? Making sure some funtion is always
> optimized or making sure it never optimized? If the second one, I
> wonder if marking it cold would be a good enough approximation.

Although both cases would be nice and our users have expressed some
interest in both, the critical one is the second case of making sure that
some functions are never optimized is the most critical one.  The major
use-case for this is for ease of debugging optimized builds.  Generally,
the type of programs that our users are writing run so slowly in
unoptimized builds that they are essentially unusable for
testing/debugging purposes.  Unfortunately in fully optimized builds, as
we all know, the debugging experience is not always entirely pleasant. Our
users generally build against multiple targets each with their own
compiler and have adopted the typical workflow of marking functions and
ranges of functions that need closer inspection in the debugger with a
pragma to prevent the optimizer from coming along and hurting the
debuggability of them whilst still running with everything else fully
optimized and at a usable speed.

Rafael EspĂ­ndola <rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote on 29/05/2013
16:04:47:

> > Wasn't this already proposed?
> > http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2013-January/058112.html
> >
> > LLVM already has optsize.  Maybe it's just a matter of hooking up
gcc's
> > attr(optimize) to it in clang, as a first approximation.
>
> Looks like it, yes!
>
> Chandler, what were you thoughts on the pass manager? Should it select
> the set of passes for a function based on the function's attributes?

Yes, Chandler's proposal goes on the same direction as our proposal. In
fact the declared goals was
"to allow a specific function to have its optimization level overridden
from the command line based level".
Our proposal tries also to focus more on how function attributes could be
used to guide pass managers in the process of selecting which passes to
run etc.

Andrea Di Biagio
SN Systems - Sony Computer Entertainment Group

If you have received this email in error please notify postmaster at scee.net
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for
all known viruses.
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited
Registered Office: 10 Great Marlborough Street, London W1F 7LP, United
Kingdom
Registered in England: 3277793