[LLVMdev] How to use WhileStmt to implement while loop in LLVM

Nick Lewycky nicholas at mxc.ca
Sun May 26 02:18:32 PDT 2013

Rasha Omar wrote:
> No, I need to use it in LLVM pass. Could it work?

No. The language available at llvm-time is the one in
llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html which doesn't have a while statement. For one
obvious example, how would this work if the input language wasn't C/C++
to begin with?

If you absolutely need to do this for a non-production-quality project
(ie., research project or other one-off), you can jam the WhileStmt
pointer value as an integer into a metadata node when doing IRGen from
clang, and reinterpret it back on the llvm side. We will not accept
patches which do this sort of thing, and this is very much warranty void
territory. Your generated IR will not work if you try to run llvm tools
outside the clang process.

Nick