[LLVMdev] LLVM Loop Vectorizer puzzle

Nadav Rotem nrotem at apple.com
Thu May 23 11:26:05 PDT 2013

On May 23, 2013, at 10:37 AM, Cameron McInally <cameron.mcinally at nyu.edu> wrote:

> In all fairness, I do not believe that ivdep is an ICC-specific pragma. There are many compilers that support ivdep and lots of legacy (and modern) codes that benefit from it. Seems silly, to me at least, to reinvent the wheel.

Hi Cameron,

The history of the idvep pragma is fascinating. I did not know that it predated ANSI. People who care about cray compatibility should provide aliases for #ivdep. The name “ivdep” is simply terrible. There is no good reason not to come up with a syntax that is actually meaningful to people. I like arnold’s idea to add additional options so the ‘vector’ pragma.

Thanks,
Nadav