[LLVMdev] Deprecating autoconf/make?

Greg Fitzgerald garious at gmail.com
Thu May 23 10:30:05 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 6:01 AM, Jean-Daniel Dupas
<devlists at shadowlab.org>wrote:

> If you want to build a clang version that target x86 and ARM on an x86
> machine and your actual compiler does not support compiling for ARM, you
> have to use the just built clang.

Using the just-built-clang will only work if compiler-rt has access to each
target's sysroot.  Compiler-rt attempts to do this by stubbing out sysroots
(see the SDKs directory), but I wonder how well that'll work.  There's only
one ARM backend, for example, but multiple ARM targets (i.e.
arm-none-linux-gnueabi, arm-linux-androideabi).  Does there need to be a
separate compiler-rt for each target triple or can we get by with one per
architecture?  It feels like it has to be one per target triple, but it
doesn't look to be implemented that way.  I'm new to compiler-rt, but is it
possible that its CMake and autotools builds are both broken for everything
but the host target?

Of course, if you are building a clang version that have to run on an other
> target, you should use you current compiler.

We don't need a special case for this.  You can run the just-built-clang on
an emulator such as QEMU.

-Greg