[LLVMdev] Deprecating autoconf/make?

Richard Smith richard at metafoo.co.uk
Thu May 23 00:06:01 PDT 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 11:27 PM, Nick Lewycky <nlewycky at google.com> wrote:

> On 22 May 2013 16:14, Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I fear starting another centi-thread on this but I'll give it a shot.
>>
>> We're currently supporting two build systems which is definitely one
>> more than we (or I) want to support.
>>
>> I don't know of any support in autoconf past the
>> --host/--build/--target case that's not supported in cmake. I'll send
>> out an assertion here that this support isn't necessary and any system
>> that needs it can instead move to:
>>
>> build native clang
>> build next clang with some target that supplies a sysroot and a
>> -target option to the native clang
>>
>> Can anyone see good a reason not to move to cmake as our only build
>> configuration system and drop future support for autoconf + makefiles
>> now that 3.3 has branched?
>>

> Hi Eric! Does cmake support in-tree builds yet?

I believe the only blocker for this is that the Makefiles from the autoconf
build system are in the way, so we block in-tree CMake builds to avoid
blatting them. Other than that it's fine, and (with the block removed) it
already seems to work fine (for instance, with the ninja backend)... except
that it litters your source area with extra files, and maybe you could look
at this as an exciting opportunity to switch to a better workflow? ;)