[LLVMdev] Best strategy to add a parameter to a function

Frank Winter fwinter at jlab.org
Tue May 21 17:27:29 PDT 2013

I am trying to build a function (C++ Builder) and at the same time
extend its parameter set. Here's what I try to do:

Value* arg0 = add_param_float("arg0");
Value* tmp = builder->CreateFAdd(arg0,some_previous_value);
Value* arg1 = add_param_float("arg1");

The function add_param_float should add a 'float' parameter to the
function and return its value. Right now it's implemented like this

Value* add_param_float() {
     return new llvm::Argument(
llvm::Type::getFloatTy(llvm::getGlobalContext()) , param_next() ,
mainFunc );
}

where param_next just figures some new, unused name for the argument and
mainFunc is the function being built.

This works to a certain extent. I am seeing issues with certain type
printers and I assume the way the argument is added to the function is
not a strictly valid thing to do.
I guess one cannot change the function type once it's created. (Then
maybe the constructor of Argument should not be public).

However, in my setup I need to add new arguments to the function. What
would be the best way to do it?

I was thinking of implementing a new function like CloneFunction which
takes an additional argument that can be added to it. But, is this
really necessary? Isn't there a simpler, more straight-forward way to do
this?

Any help/thoughts is appreciated!
Frank