[LLVMdev] linux build fix

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Fri May 17 13:01:38 PDT 2013

Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Óscar Fuentes <ofv at wanadoo.es> wrote:
>> Sean Silva <silvas at purdue.edu> writes:
>>
>>> We don't accept patches through the bug database. Patches should be sent to
>>> llvm-commits for review.
>>
>> Not even patches for fixing bugs? For instance: creating a bug report
>> with "the build is broken in X, the attached patch fixes it."
>>

> No really, that relies on someone looking at the bug report who is
> also a person that can and wants to review it and that it's perfect on
> the first go.
>
> Pretty small odds.

I'll expect from component maintainers to review the bugzilla mailing
list watching for bugs on their area, and I'm pretty sure that that is
the case for the most part. A patch attached to a bug report can be
discussed there as any other technicalities related to the bug actually
are.

I've experienced submitting some fix for a simple bug on -commits just
to see it vanish in the stream of everyday's activity and had to keep an
eye on it, pinging until some charitable soul reviewed it. The bug
database, OTOH, never forgets.

IMHO it is reasonable to submit a patch to -commits when you are
determined to incorporate it and attach the patch to a bug report when
you found a fix but are not terribly interested on its fate.

But if the policy is to always send the patch to -commits, I'll keep it
in mind for pointing newcomers to the right direction.