[LLVMdev] #APP/#NOAPP

reed kotler rkotler at mips.com
Mon May 6 16:31:58 PDT 2013

On 05/06/2013 04:23 PM, Eric Christopher wrote:
> On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 3:08 PM, reed kotler <rkotler at mips.com> wrote:
>> Hi Hal,
>>

>> I think that it's perfectly valid to generate inline assembler and it
>> looks 1000 times cleaner than if I tried to do this same work with
>> selection DAG.
>>
> I'm pretty sure you're the only one who thinks this. What's so
> complicated about doing this either at selection dag or MI lowering
> time?
>
> -eric

This pass I did was very easy for me to do in IR. It took maybe a week
to write which included time for analysis (what I'm doing is mimicking
gcc and how it does this is not documented).

There are lots of cases to handle and it took very little code to do it.

It's possible to even eliminate half of the code by adding a new calling
convention which
I intend to do at a later time.

Someone else might have done this a different way (maybe even everyone
but me :) )

When I check it in you can look at it and maybe advise me for future
reference.
That would be great to know a better way.

There are other stubs we need to add for mips but these are the ones for
mips16/mips32 floating point interoperability.

There is also code inserted to return values in both integer and
floating point registers (for the same return) so that depending on the
callee (mips32 or mips16 mode function), the register will be where it
expects it to be.

Reed