[LLVMdev] Memory clean for applications using LLVM for JIT compilation

Dirkjan Bussink d.bussink at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 08:18:02 PDT 2013

Hi Andy,

One of the issues that I found not intuitive, is that when an ExecutionEngine is deallocated, the memory manager's destructor is also called. This resulted in having to write two objects in my case, one as a per JIT request memory manager and one global JIT memory manager.

The per request JIT memory manager gets memory from the global manager, but both ended up implementing (almost) the whole memory manager api, because I couldn't find another way to do it. Also see the code here:

https://github.com/rubinius/rubinius/blob/master/vm/llvm/jit_memory_manager.hpp
https://github.com/rubinius/rubinius/blob/master/vm/llvm/jit_memory_manager.cpp

If there are better ways to clean up the code, that would be great, but having to things like that is what made me state feeling dirty on how it was implemented.

--
Dirkjan