[LLVMdev] Debug Info Documentation State

Erkki Lindpere villane at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 14:21:19 PDT 2013

Hi,

I wanted to add debug info to my language (compiler written in Scala,
outputs .ll files), but I found it really hard to do based on the
documentation provided at http://llvm.org/docs/SourceLevelDebugging.html (I
looked at the specific doc for LLVM 3.0 though)

With LLVM 3.0, DI version 8 (which is documented there) seemed to work,
except DW_TAG_auto_variable for which I used version tag 11 and imitated
what clang was doing.

Got that working for simple programs, but now I switched to LLVM 3.2 and
that debug info doesn't work any more. My best bet seems to be looking at
how Clang/LLVM does it internally.

PS. For anyone else looking for this, lib/VMCore/DIBuilder.cpp seems to be
the best place to look what the structures should look like.

My question is, any plans to updating the documentation? Documenting
different versions of the debug info is probably too much, but the docs
should at least be of a working version (of course it's possible that
Version 8 works fine and I was just doing something wrong).