[LLVMdev] PROPOSAL: struct-access-path aware TBAA

Daniel Berlin dberlin at dberlin.org
Tue Mar 12 18:07:46 PDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Manman Ren <mren at apple.com> wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2013, at 12:20 PM, Daniel Berlin <dberlin at dberlin.org> wrote:

>>> I may not get what you are saying.
>>> But if we don't keep it in the LLVM IR, then the information is not available at the IR level.
>>
>> I agree, but it's not being regenerated from the LLVM IR, it's being
>> generated *into* the LLVM IR by clang or something.
>> I'm saying you can generate the offset, size info there as well.
>

> I thought your suggestion was to replace tbaa.path because it "can get quite deep quite quickly",

Yes.  Your access path based mechanism is going to basically try to
find common prefixes or suffixes, which is expensive.

> but here you are saying as well.
> So clarification: you are suggesting to add {offset, size} into metadata tbaa.path, right :)
No, i'm suggesting you replace it.

> I am going to add a few examples here:
> Given
>  struct A {
>    int x;
>    int y;
>  };
>  struct B {
>    A a;
>    int z;
>  };
>  struct C {
>    B b1;
>    B b2;
>    int *p;
>  };
>  struct D {
>    C c;
>  };
>
> with the proposed struct-access-path aware TBAA, we will say "C::b1.a" will alias with "B::a.x", "C::b1.a" will alias with "B",
> "C::b1.a" does not alias with "D::c.b2.a.x".
>
> The proposal is about the format of metadata in IR and how to implement alias queries in IR:

Yes, and when I suggested replacing it, you said my replacement would
be difficult to generate.
So what i started to ask is:
What is generating this metadata?
Clang?
Something else?
What is the actual algorithm you plan on using to generate it?

I'm trying to understand how you plan on actually implementing the
metadata generation in order to give you a suggestion of how you would
generate differently structured metadata that, while conveying the
same information, would be able to be queried faster.