[LLVMdev] LNT BenchmarkGame

Marshall Clow mclow.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 07:53:26 PDT 2013

On Mar 12, 2013, at 7:36 AM, Tim Northover <t.p.northover at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Renato,
>
>> The test is initializing srand(1), so in theory, it shouldn't be different
>> between compilers, since Clang is using the same libraries.
>
> If Clang and GCC disagree on the same source, same machine and with
> the same libraries, that certainly is odd. But it doesn't make
> checking against the output of a particular libc's RNG any better an
> idea in general.

I agree; I'm pretty sure that the only guarantee is that for a given implementation of stand, if you initialize it with the same seed, you get the same sequence.

There is no "correct" sequence.

-- Marshall

Marshall Clow     Idio Software   <mailto:mclow.lists at gmail.com>

A.D. 1517: Martin Luther nails his 95 Theses to the church door and is promptly moderated down to (-1, Flamebait).
        -- Yu Suzuki