[LLVMdev] Bug in visitSIGN_EXTEND in DAGCombiner.cpp?

Relph, Richard Richard.Relph at amd.com
Fri Mar 8 10:53:50 PST 2013

visitSIGN_EXTEND() in DAGCombiner.cpp generates an ISD::SELECT even if VT is a vector, which causes ExpandSELECT() to assert during legalization.
I think what's required is to have visitSIGN_EXTEND generate a VSELECT if VT is a vector…

I've tried a local change that cures this particular assert, but uncovers another assert later, so I'm a bit uncertain if I'm heading off in the wrong direction.
The subsequent assert comes in ExpandVSELECT, which expects (for no good reason as far as I can tell) that the "mask" (really the 'selector') and the operands will be the same width, rather than trying to make them the same width (in our problem cases, the mask is an i32 produced from getSetCCResultType() and the ops are i8 or i16 - all vectors of the same length, of course.)

I don't really want to fix that, as the generated XOR/AND/AND/OR sequence isn't desirable at all for our target, which has an instruction that I think does precisely VSELECT…

Richard