[LLVMdev] GSoC 2013

Sean Silva silvas at purdue.edu
Sun Mar 3 09:38:58 PST 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 2:13 AM, Anton Korobeynikov
<anton at korobeynikov.info> wrote:
> Sean,
>
>> Maybe it would get more traffic if we brought the page into the Sphinx
>> docs? That way, developers can easily modify it without having to
>> check out another (little-known) SVN repo. Anton, what do you think
>> about that? It might be good to start fresh to ensure a high
>> signal/noise (up to date/out of date) ratio.
> Go ahead with it. Given the "freshness" of OpenProjects page, I
> believe that any action here will yield a goodness :)

Sorry for the delay on this. I was initially thinking that it would be
a good idea to just have an "OpenProjects.rst" similar in spirit to
the existing OpenProjects page, but I'm not so sure that it is a good
idea. I'm convinced that such a page will become a boneyard by its
very nature ("dump your ideas here").

I think that there needs to be some ownership policy for the projects
(such as a person willing to guide someone interested in working on
the project). As with most policy decisions I think that they should
be discussed. This kind of ownership would also serve as a means to
periodically clean up the list (by pinging the owners to see if the
idea is still relevant).

Some kind of ownership is also probably necessary in order to ensure
that projects can be feasibly executed. My impression is that most
LLVM developers (especially experienced ones) are already busy and
know of plenty of things to work on in LLVM, which means that the
audience of this page is primarily non-LLVM developers (for example,
researchers in academia that do not have LLVM-specific expertise) or
less experienced LLVM developers; therefore it is imperative that this
page include resources (such as a person to contact for more
information) that will put them on the path to successfully completing
the project. I don't think it is sufficient to simply list open
projects.

-- Sean Silva