[LLVMdev] Proposal: extended MDString syntax

Nadav Rotem nrotem at apple.com
Wed Jun 26 15:59:49 PDT 2013

On Jun 26, 2013, at 3:51 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> wrote:

> Can you suggest an alternative solution? Can you describe why you don't think metadata is the right container? This alone isn't really helpful at moving us toward something that there has been widespread agreement LLVM needs.

Hi Chandler,

Sure, we can talk about serializing MF.  But the discussion should focus on serializing MF, and not multi-line metadata support, which is only one of the possible solutions.  I understand the problem that Dan mentioned (that MF references IR), and I am sure that there are other problems that he did not mention. I would be happy to hear more about other solutions that you considered and other problems that you ran into.  Have you considered using a new format that embeds LLVM-IR ?

Thanks,
Nadav