[LLVMdev] LLVM 3.3 dot releases

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Tue Jun 25 01:11:17 PDT 2013

On 24 June 2013 17:08, Tom Stellard <tom at stellard.net> wrote:

> + Participation from developers is optional.  If developers don't have
>   time to help with issues in the stable branch, they do not have to.

This may be very hard on the interested parties in the long term. I agree
that we should not force the dot-release on everyone as of now, but if it
becomes an accepted policy, I think people should start thinking about it
more often.

That doesn't mean people will have to have several trees to test on, but
we'd have to have build-bots on the stable release covering at least the
basics, so to make the process more automatic and painless to all.

+ Individual contributors who are interested in helping with dot
>   releases in any way.

I can always re-run the release tests on ARM+Linux, no problems.

Would be great if you could change the test-release script to account for
that change beforehand, so that release testers can do that seamlessly.

Currently, we have "rcN" and "final", we should move to "rcN.M" and "dotN"
or something similar, to account for the dot releases... So:

rc0.1 -> rc0.2 -> rc0.3 -> dot0 -> rc1.1 -> ... -> dot1 -> ...

So that, in the script, we chose: "-release 3.4 {-rc2.1 or -final}| and the
script will checkout the correct tag of the correct branch.

Of course, to not disrupt the current release process, "-rc1" would have to
alias to "-rc0.1" and "-final" aliasing to "-dot0".

cheers,
--renato