[LLVMdev] Proposal: type uniquing of debug info for LTO

Manman Ren mren at apple.com
Fri Jun 21 12:33:00 PDT 2013

On Jun 21, 2013, at 11:56 AM, Eric Christopher wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Manman Ren <mren at apple.com> wrote:

>>> You may not need the map in DIBuilder if you piggy back on the
>>> existing map in CGDebugInfo.cpp. The AsmWriter stuff is unfortunate
>>> for just debug dumps of the IR. A way around this might be nice, but
>>> I've not looked into it.

Calling dump() on a MDNode inside gdb will not give us the derived type information, since we don't have a handle to the map.

>>> I'll let David continue this part of the thread with you.

>>> Option b is more general and should probably work. I suggested a
>>> originally because I know it would work and the impact is limited to
>>> debug info. Also it doesn't involve touching the generic metadata
>>> interface or code and could be done quickly and incrementally. b may
>>> also require further changes to the debug info infrastructure to deal
>>> with lookup, etc so may end up being as much churn as a. b is more
>>> useful if we think other users of metadata may want/need similar
>>> functionality in the future.
>>>
>>> I'm fine with b as a choice, but it's going to involve more planning
>>> and code review and involve people outside of you, me and Dave :)
>>
>> Got it. David, are you okay with the details I added about option b?
>> Let's start a new thread with title "Proposal: extend Metadata (MDNode) to support MDHash" or something like that.
>
> I'd like to hear a rationale for wanting b first. I don't know (and
> can think of) any other users of this functionality right now.

I will try my best :]
MDNode has a list of operands, one MDNode's full content can be thought of as a graph, when there is a reference to another MDNode, we have
an edge. The MDHash can be used to give a unique id (or string) to the full content of the graph.

The hash value applies to any kind of MDNode with complicated MDNode references.

If you think this is not general enough to be in MDNode, my earlier proposal of extending MDNode to DINode is going the other direction.
Basically, MDNode will have an opcode like the opcode for Instruction, to support TBAA, DI, and other types.
Inside streamers (bc ll reader), we can create the specialized class according to the opcode.
That requires a lot of changes too :(

>> We can add a weight to MDHash (other names are fine with me), to support multiple MDNodes with the same hash, but different weight.
>>

> Wait, what? This sounds like a bad idea.
Why?
The weight is needed to differentiate a forward declaration vs. a definition, they both name the same class, but they are different.

Thanks,
Manman