[LLVMdev] Vector type LOAD/STORE with post-increment.

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Wed Jun 19 04:29:51 PDT 2013

On 19 June 2013 11:32, Francois Pichet <pichet2000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am talking about something like this:
>      vldr    d16, [sp, #8]

Hi Francois,

This is just using the offset, not updating the register (see ARM ARM
A8.5). Post-increment only has meaning if you write-back the new value to
the register like:

  vldr  d16, [sp], #8

Did you mean write-back? or just offset?

Does anybody know any C/C++ code example that will generate such code
> (especially loop)? Is this supported by the auto-vectorizer?

It's not simple to go from a loop in C++ to an instruction in machine code,
especially when you're considering the vectorizer. Today you can generate a
post-indexing load, tomorrow a pre-indexing load, and the next day a simple
offset. All depending on how the IR is constructed, changed and lowered,
all of which change daily.

The quickest and surest way to generate NEON instructions is with NEON
intrinsics, but even so, LLVM is allowed to twist your code to generate
better instructions than you have thought possible. You can try to create
an IR that can generate post-indexed VLDRs on ARM, but that will not
guarantee it'll generate the same on any other backend.

A code that will generate post-indexed loads in ARM, might generate a
completely different instruction on Intel, or on your backend. What you
have to do is to understand the patterns that vectorized code has in IR,
possibly copy what's been done by other backends to lower such IR, and make
sure your backend uses the post-indexed load for the cases you care about.

Makes sense?

cheers,
--renato