[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] [PROPOSAL] per-function optimization level control

Dallman, John john.dallman at siemens.com
Wed Jun 12 08:11:38 PDT 2013

> Although both cases would be nice and our users have expressed some
> interest in both, the critical one is the second case of making sure that
> some functions are never optimized is the most critical one.  The major
> use-case for this is for ease of debugging optimized builds.

I have a similar usage case: I work on code that tends to show up optimiser
bugs, possibly because it is very thoroughly tested. Optimization control
pragmas are invaluable for locating optimizer bugs in a particular function;
the lack of them is one of the reasons why my GCC and Clang builds don't have
optimization turned up so high as on some other compilers.

--
John Dallman