[LLVMdev] clang/llvm with glibc

Peter Collingbourne peter at pcc.me.uk
Fri Jun 7 10:33:39 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 07, 2013 at 11:48:03AM -0400, Rafael EspĂ­ndola wrote:
> > It is (almost) possible to compile glibc using DragonEgg -- there
> > are only a handful of patches required (for LLVM and DragonEgg),
> > most of which are now up for review.
> >
> > It builds, and most of glibc's test suite currently passes, except
> > for some tests that deal with floating point arithmetic, and some
> > tests which use very obscure GNU as features which I haven't seen
> > used outside the glibc test suite.
> >
> > Hopefully within a month or so everything should be upstreamed, but
> > if you're itching for something that works now I can try to find some
> > time to send some WIP patches and instructions.
>
> This is amazing!
>
> What are you guys doing about -fno-toplevel-reorder?

I haven't done anything about this flag, to be honest.  From looking
at glibc's git HEAD it seems to currently be only used by two files
-- siglist.c and errlist.c -- and maybe I'm missing something but I
can't see any reason why either of these files now need it (in the
past these files seem to have contained some assembly but now
only contain straight C declarations).  It also seems to have been used
in the past by initfini.c but that file is now gone from glibc git.

Thanks,
--
Peter