[LLVMdev] [PROPOSAL] ELF safe/unsafe sections

Shankar Easwaran shankare at codeaurora.org
Wed Jul 31 08:25:28 PDT 2013

> Just because this won't actively explode with other ELF tools doesn't
> mean we shouldn't try to reach consensus throughout the larger
> community before changing the way in which Clang writes ELF files and
> LLD reads them. We really do need to maintain interoperability (by and
> large) with other toolchains on the same platform.
Even with these changes, all the tools are going to be still
interoperable. The only consumer of the new section would be just clang
based tools.

> OK, there are others who disagree though. =] It is at least something that
> we shouldn't write off and should consider *IF* we're going to also
> consider the rest of the proposal. But currently, I think this entire thing
> already works with -ffunction-sections until there is a concrete
> description of why that mode simply won't work.
I agree to this, but since -ffunction-sections and -fdata-sections has
not been the default over all these years, I put up this proposal.

Thanks

Shankar Easwaran

--
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum, hosted by the Linux Foundation