[LLVMdev] [PROPOSAL] ELF safe/unsafe sections

Rafael EspĂ­ndola rafael.espindola at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 05:39:09 PDT 2013

On 25 July 2013 17:24, Rui Ueyama <ruiu at google.com> wrote:
> Then how about enable these flags for -O2? I want to hear from other people
> cc'ed, and I may be too cautious, but I'd hesitate to define a new ELF
> section if there's other mean already available to achieve the same thing.

I would probably support doing that first. A small annoyance is that
the linker requires the --gc-sections option, but most current gnu
(bfd and gold) versions support that, so we should be fine at least on
linux (and the driver already collects the distro we are in anyway in
case we need to change the default for some old distro).

Once that is in,  the existing proposals for splitting sections into
atoms become speed and relocatable object size optimizations.

Cheers,
Rafael