[LLVMdev] [PROPOSAL] ELF safe/unsafe sections

Shankar Easwaran shankare at codeaurora.org
Thu Jul 25 14:01:05 PDT 2013

On 7/25/2013 3:56 PM, Rui Ueyama wrote:
> I think I share the goal with you to make the foundation for better
> dead-strip, so thank you for suggesting. I'm not sure if marking a section
> as a whole as "safe" or "unsafe" is the best approach, though. Some
> comments.
>
>   - If the compiler generated code is always "safe", and if we can
> distinguish it from hand-written assembly code by checking if there's a gap
> between symbols, can we just assume a section with no gap is always "safe"?
Gaps could just be caused due to alignment, but the code may be safe,
which the compiler knows very well.

>   - "Safeness" is not an attribute of the section but of the symbol, I
> think. The symbol is "safe" if there's no direct reference to the symbol
> data. All references should go through relocations. A section may contain
> both "safe" and "unsafe" symbols.
Sections contain symbols. In the context of ELF, marking sections as
safe/not is more desirable because of the switches (-ffunction-sections
and -fdata-sections available already).

>   - How about making the compiler to create a new section for each "safe"
> atom, as it does for inline functions?
You already have a switch called -ffunction-sections and -fdata-sections
to put function and data in seperate sections.

--
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum, hosted by the Linux Foundation