[LLVMdev] Cutting down the number of platform checks

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Tue Jul 23 15:30:06 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Óscar Fuentes <ofv at wanadoo.es> wrote:

> Yes. What you are seeing are the platform checks, where the build system
> looks for the presence of functions, headers, etc and then generates a
> configuration file with that information.

I've been meaning to cut down on the number of these because they are super
slow and wasteful.  Some of them are dead and can be removed without
discussion.

Some of them are used inconsistently, like HAVE_STRING_H.  Do we really
support any platform that lacks a <string.h>?  All of Errno.cpp is in an
ifdef for this macro, but I suspect we include string.h elsewhere
unconditionally.
http://llvm.org/viewvc/llvm-project/llvm/trunk/lib/Support/Errno.cpp?revision=167191&view=markup

Is everyone OK with eliminating checks for headers and symbols that we use
unconditionally anyway?  (assert.h, mempcy, etc)