[LLVMdev] support for addressing units which are not 8 bits

Boris Boesler baembel at gmx.de
Tue Jul 23 02:28:10 PDT 2013

Am 20.06.2013 um 18:51 schrieb Eli Friedman:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 6:14 AM, Boris Boesler <baembel at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
>  I want to write a LLVM back-end for a bit addressing target architecture.
>  And what means "a lot of code in the backend" in the link above? Which other parts are involved?
>
> The tricky part here isn't addressing, it's that is that each address points at 32 bits, so you have to track down every single place LLVM hardcodes "i8" and fix it.
>
> CC'ing Philipp Brüschweiler, who had a patch series a while back (see http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20120702/146050.html).

 Finally I had some time to give it a try. I can't apply the patches to llvm 3.2 because the files include/llvm/Target/TargetData.h and lib/Target/TargetData.cpp don't exist anymore. Probably they have been split into multiple new files. But applying the patches to the new files by hand should not be to hard.

 Anyway, are there plans to add this kind of feature to the trunk? Isn't there some demand?

Boris