[LLVMdev] [RFC] Add warning capabilities in LLVM.

Bob Wilson bob.wilson at apple.com
Mon Jul 22 11:36:54 PDT 2013

On Jul 21, 2013, at 8:00 PM, Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
>> Sorry, just getting caught up on an old thread.  I haven't been involved in discussions of this.
>>
>> On Jul 17, 2013, at 8:53 AM, Bob Wilson <bob.wilson at apple.com> wrote:
>>> First, let me try to clarify my proposal, in case there was any confusion about that.  LLVMContext already has a hook for diagnostics, setInlineAsmDiagnosticHandler() et al.  I was suggesting that we rename those interfaces to be more generic, add a simple enumeration of whatever diagnostics can be produced from the backend, and add support in clang for mapping those enumeration values to the corresponding clang diagnostics.  This would be a small amount of work and would also be consistent with everything you wrote above about reusing the standard and existing machinery for diagnostics in clang.
>>
>> Of all of the proposals discussed, I like this the best:
>>
>> 1) This is a really simple extension of what we already have.
>>
>> 2) The backend providing a set of enumerations for the classes of diagnostics it produces doesn't tie it to clang, and doesn't make it language specific.  Clients should be able to completely ignore the enum if they want the current (unclassified) behavior, and if an unknown enum value comes through, it is easy to handle.
>>
>> 3) I don't see how something like the stack size diagnostic can be implemented by clang calling into the backend. First, the MachineFunction (and thus, MachineFrameInfo) is a transient datastructure used by the backend when a function is compiled.  There is nothing persistent for clang to query.  Second, clang would have to know about all of the LLVM IR functions generated, which is possible, but impractical to track for things like thunks and other implicitly generated entrypoints.
>>
>> What is the specific concern with this approach?  I don't see how this couples the backend to the frontend or causes layering violation problems.
>>

> I've not talked with Chandler about this, but to sketch out the way
> I'd do it (which is similar):
>
> Have the backend vend diagnostics, this can be done either with a set
> of enums and messages like you mentioned, or just have a message and
> location struct ala:
>
> struct Msg {
>   const char *Message;
>   Location Loc;
> };
>
> that the consumer of the message can use via a handler.

When the consumer is clang, it's important that we have diagnostic groups to control the warnings, so the enum is important.  We don't want to be comparing the message strings to decide whether a particular warning is an instance of -Wstack-size (for example).

> Alternately a handler (and we should have a default handler) can be
> passed in from the printer of the message (the frontend in the case
> provided) and it can be called on the error message. Absolutely this
> should be done via the LLVMContext to deal with the case of parallel
> function passes.
>
> class Handler {
>   void printDiagnostic(const char *Message, Location Loc);
> };
>
> (Note that I didn't say this was a fleshed out design ;) I think I
> prefer the latter to the former and we'd just need an "diagnostic
> callback handler" on the context. Though we would need to keep a set
> of diagnostics that the backend handles. That said, that it provides
> diagnostics based on its input language seems to make the most sense.
> It can use the location metadata if it has it to produce a location,
> otherwise you get the function, etc. in some sort of nicely degraded
> quality.

This is pretty much the same as what Quentin proposed (with the addition of the enum), isn't it?

> I think this scheme could also work as a way of dealing with the
> "Optimization Diary" sort of use that Hal is envisioning as well.

Yes, I agree.

> Keeping the separation of concerns around where the front end handles
> diagnostics on what we'll call "source locations" is pretty important,
> however, I agree that not every warning can be expressed this way,
> i.e. the stack size diagnostic. However, leaving the printing up to
> the front end is the best way to deal with this and a generic
> diagnostic engine would probably help for things like llc/opt where
> the backend just deals with its input language - IR.
>
> The existing inline asm diagnostics are ... problematic and it would
> definitely be nice to get a generic interface for them. Though they're
> actually separated into two separate cases where, I think, we end up
> with our confusion:
>
> a) Front end diagnostics - This is an area that needs some work to be
> decent, but it involves the front end querying the back end for things
> like register size, valid immediates, etc and should be implemented by
> the front end with an expanded set of target queries. We could use
> this as a way to solidify the backend api for the MS inline asm
> support as well and use some of that when parsing GNU style inline
> asm.

Yes, I agree about this, too.  As an example, we had a discussion a few months ago about warning about over-aligned stack variables when dynamic stack realignment is disabled, and we agreed to move that warning into the frontend.  I keep poking at the frontend team every once in a while to get some help implementing that, but I haven't forgotten it.

> b) Back end diagnostics - This is the stuff that the front end has no
> hope of diagnosing. i.e. "ran out of registers", or "can't figure out
> how to split this up into this kind of vector register". The latter
> has always been a bit funny and I'm always unhappy with it, but I
> don't have any better ideas. A unified scheme of communicating "help
> help I'm being oppressed by the front end" in the backend would be, at
> the very least, a step forward.
>
> Thoughts?

I don't have any better ideas for this.  At least if we generalize the existing inline asm diagnostic handler, it will make it less of a special case.