[LLVMdev] Advice to API inconsistency between different versions

lyh.kernel lyh.kernel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 02:21:56 PDT 2013

Hello all,

LLVM's API varies a lot from version to version. Take a example, header
llvm/Target/TargetData.h changed to llvm/DataLayout.h from LLVM version 3.1
to version 3.2. This sliced the program just like:

#if defined(LLVM_V31)
  #include llvm/Target/TargetData.h
#elif defined(LLVM_V32)
  #include llvm/DataLayout.h
#else
  #error NEED HEADER

The code is in a mess if I want to support previous LLVM version. I am
wondering how do you support different LLVM versions and keep the code
clean as well?

On the other hand, consider the example above. Do you usually check for
LLVM version (ex. LLVM_V31, LLVM_V32) or check for feature instead, which
use m4 AC_CHECK_HEADER to detect whether the header exist during
configuration?

Thanks a lot