[LLVMdev] Analysis of polly-detect overhead in oggenc

Star Tan tanmx_star at yeah.net
Sun Jul 21 09:49:47 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I have attached a patch file to reduce the polly-detect overhead.

My idea is to avoid calling TypeFinder in Non-DEBUG mode, so TypeFinder is only called in DEBUG mode with the DEBUG macro.
This patch file did this work with following modifications:

First, it keeps most of string information by replacing  "<<" with "+" operation. For example, code like this:
    INVALID(CFG, "Non branch instruction terminates BB: " + BB.getName());
would be converted into:
   LastFailure = "Non branch instruction terminates BB: " + BB.getName().str();

Second, it simplifies some complex operations like:
       INVALID(AffFunc,
              "Non affine branch in BB '" << BB.getName() << "' with LHS: "
                                          << *LHS << " and RHS: " << *RHS);
into:
      LastFailure = "Non affine branch in BB: " + BB.getName().str();

In such cases, some information for "LHS" and "RHS" are missed. However, it only has little affects on the variable "LastFailure", while keeping all information for DEBUG information. Since the variable "LastFailure" is only used in ScopGraphPrinter, which should only show critical information in graph, I hope such modification is acceptable.

Results show that it has almost the same performance improvements as my previous hack patch file, i.e., reducing the compile-time of Polly-detect pass from 90s (>80%) to 0.5s (2.5%) when compiling oggenc 16X.

Best wishes,
Star Tan

Postscript to  Tobias:
 I have also implemented your initial proposal, which uses some class hierarchy to show different Failure information. Unfortunately, I found it would significantly complicate the source code. It not only introduces a lot of dynamic object "new" and "copy" operations, but also makes source code hard to understand. I argue that very detailed information for the variable "LastFailure" is not essential because it should only show critical information in the graph. If users want to know detailed failure information, they should refer to DEBUG information. This new patch file keeps most of critical information for "LastFailure" except some detailed information about Instruction and SCEV.
Do you have any suggestion?