[LLVMdev] [Proposal] Parallelize post-IPO stage.

Evan Cheng evan.cheng at apple.com
Tue Jul 16 05:23:36 PDT 2013

Thanks for the proposal. This is important work which is one step towards making LTO more applicable for large applications. Some comments inline.

On Jul 12, 2013, at 3:49 PM, Shuxin Yang <shuxin.llvm at gmail.com> wrote:

> 3.1.1 Figure out Partition scheme
> ----------------------------------
>  we randomly pick up some function and put them in a partition.
> It would be nice to perform some optimization at this moment. One opt
> in my mind is to reorder functions in order to reduce working-set and
> improve locality.
>
>  Unfortunately, this opt seems to be bit blind at this time, because
>    - CallGraph is not annotated with estimated or profiled frequency.
>    - some linkers don't respect the order. It seems they just
>      remembers the function order of the pristine input obj/fake-obj,
>      and enforce this order at final link (link-exec/shared-lib) stage.
>
>  Anyway, I try to ignore all these problems, and try to perform partition
> via following steps. Maybe we have some luck on some platforms:
>
>  o. DFS the call-graph, ignoring the self-resursive edges, if freq is
>     available, prioritizing the edges (i.e. corresponding to call-sites)
>     such that frequent edges are visited first.
>
>  o. Cut the DFS spanning tree obtained from the previous step bottom-up,
>     Each cut/partition contains reasonable # of functions, and the aggregate
>     size of the functions of the partition should not exceeds predefined
>     threshold.

I'd like to see more details about this step. How do you determine the "reasonable # of functions"? How do you define the threshold? It has to be the same for a given target / platform regardless of the configuration of the build machine, right?

> o. repeat the previous step until the Call-graph's DFS spanning tree
>     is empty.
>
> 3.1.2 Partition transformation
> ------------------------------
>
>  This is bit involved. There are bunch of problems we have to tackle.
>  1) When the use/def of a symbol are separated in different modules,
>     its attribute, like linkage, visibility, need  to be changed
>     as well.
>
>      [Example 1], if a symbol is flagged as "internal" to the module where
>     the it is defined, the linkage need to be changed into "internal"
>     to the executable/lib being compiled.
>
>      [Example 2], For compile-time constants, their initialized value
>     needs to to cloned to the partitions where it is referenced,
>     The rationale is to make the post-ipo passes to take advantage
>     of the initlized value to squeeeze some performance.
>
>      In order to not bloat the code size, the cloned constant should
>     mark "don't emit". [end of eg2]
>
>       Being able to precisely update symbols' attribute is not only
>     vital to correctness, it has significant impact to the the
>     performance as well.
>
>       I have not yet taken a thorough investigation of this issue. My
>     rudimentary implementation is simply flag symbol "external" when its
>     use/def are separated in different module. I believe this is one
>     of the most difficult part of this work. I guess it is going to
>     take long time to become stable.
>
>  2) In order to compile each partition in each separate thread (see
>     Section 3.2), we have to put partitions in distinct LLVMContext.
>
>     I could be wrong, but I don't find the code which is able to
>     perform function cloning across LLVMContext.
>
>     My workaround in the patch is to perform function cloning in
>    one LLVMContext (but in different Module, of course), then
>    save the module to disk file, and load it to memory using a
>    new LLVMContext.
>
>     It is bit circuitous and expensive.

Do you plan to fix this? What are the issues that prevented function cloning across multiple LLVMContexts?

Evan